"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, March 16, 2017

DEALING WITH GOOGLE

In 2013 I was dumb enough to "buy" my domain name (Ya, like anyone else in the universe wants to be Indomitable Angela).  And I set it to auto payment.  And all went along just fine.  

Until a month ago, when I got a startling e-mail from Google saying my domain name would not renew unless I renew my payment method, as it had expired.  And, if my domain name would expire, then my blog would go down the tube with it.  

Therein began an odyssey that took probably 25 hours total phone and computer time.  I have an Admin account that I set up in 2013 when I bought the domain name.  However, I had no idea what the account name or password was.  And of course Google couldn't tell me.  It was absolutely exasperating.  I was asked a million questions, none of which I knew the answers to, because those answers were on my Admin page  

Everything ended up just fine, but I'm here to warn you, keep track of that Admin thing!  Does every Blogger Blog have to pay $10/year now to "own" it?  Like are we all in the same boat?  And, it's weird to me that they kept telling me indomitableangela.com was to expire, but that isn't out there anywhere, just this blogger name.  I'm so confused.  

And, I sure would love to save a copy of this blog.... not the code you get if you download a copy from Blogger, but a copy of this exactly.  I know I did it a long time ago, and I have no idea how.... Do You?  

2 comments:

  1. Can't help with Google or blog copying, Angela. Actually I was thinking of using Gail instead of Comcast since I'm having email issues, but now I don't know. I want to go back to pre hi tech days. One rotary dial phone per house sounds good to me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I couldn't agree more!! We'd send letters and photographs back and forth and once in a while call (because long-distance calls would be too expensive). And, we'd have party lines, so could listen in on the old lady down the street if we picked up the phone to make a call and she was already using the line. My siblings and I got a few scoldings for that!

      Delete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.