"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, June 27, 2015

SCENES OF A LIFE ON A LAKE

How lucky I have been throughout my life, to live here in New England.  My father was a man who loved the outdoors, and so when it came time to vacation, we did not head to cities, we headed to lakes, mountains, forests and streams.  Those vacations instilled in me a great love of the outdoors, a quality that David and I strongly share, and it is a love that we  shared with our children, Paul and Anna.  Like my family, we spent vacations on lakes, in cabins, in tents, near mountains and forests.  We never did take them to NYC or Washington, DC, but they know what it's like to ride a horse to an altitude of 14,000 feet in the Rockies, and sleep there under the stars.  They know how it feels, what it sounds like, to sleep in a tent in a pine forest on a lake, with the calls of the loons as a the background music.  

So, how blessed do I feel to now be living on a lake in New Hampshire?  I cannot describe it.  I am blessed beyond words.  With my mahongany row boat and electric motor, I am free to spend as many hours on the lake as I please, just taking it all in.  The sounds and smells and feel of a lake fill me up every day, and at the same time bring forth the memories that sustain, of days on lakes with people who are no longer here to listen for the calls of the loons every evening.  


Every season, I start my lake blogging season with a post called "Keds on the Lake"
Well, Keds changed their designs, and my feet changed their shape, so it's onto a new brand,
but "Skechers on the Lake" doesn't make for a very catchy title.  So, here's my feet.  

Bella is a Miniature Schnauzer.  Miniature Schnauzers were bred to root out vermin.
We have moles on our property.  Got the picture?  

Retired now, Dave said to me the other day "It's kinda like being on vacation every day, isn't it?"
Yes, Dave, it is.  

Cassy and Bella keep up their vigilant watch over the lake.
Misty won't walk on the dock, otherwise she'd be right there with them,
giving the passing boats the what for.  

Anna and Lila love the lake just as much as we do.
We are so happy to have them here on the East Coast,
doing what East Coast girls do.  Paddleboard on a lake, of course.  

My Boat.  My freedom to do as I please whenever I please,
on the lake alone.  

4 comments:

  1. Sign me up! You are blessed to have such a beautiful 'back yard.' Enjoy the water for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky, Lucky you! Enjoy some lake time for me!
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky, Lucky you! Enjoy some lake time for me!
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful beyond words. You all deserve it, Angela!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.