"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, June 19, 2015

A BATIK QUILT FOR PAUL

It has been a terribly long time since I have written in my Blog, and longer still that I've been in touch with my Blogger friends.  

I hope that changes now, as I rededicate myself to writing and sharing.  

First, I want to share my most important finish this spring, a queen sized batik quilt for our son Paul.  It's fabulous.


Sticking with my tradition of naming my quilts after
songs that convey the word in my heart to the person
who will be warmed by my work, I named this quilt
"My Wish," by Rascall Flatts.  
The original pattern was only what is within the first blue border.
Suicide mission--take a quilt pattern of dimensions that make no
sense, and which is constructed of discontinued fabrics,
and make a fabulous queen sized quilt.  Mission Accomplished.
I think the borders were more work than the patterned portion of this quilt!
The quilting was done by Mary Flynn, of Quilt Hollow, and she did
fabulous work, using a pantograph called "Woven Winds."




2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is totally awesome!! I love everything about it, the colors, randomness of the pattern that was only partially used, and the contrasts. I often find myself on this kind of suicide mission, but nothing this big anymore. Your divergence from the suggested pattern made this a true personal work of art. Lucky Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a truly beautiful quilt! If Paul isn't happy with it -- give me a call. I love it!

    Your internet friends are still around. I miss being here and talking to you all.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.