"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, March 16, 2015

IN THE SEWING ROOM, ON THE NEEDLES, ON MY LAP

The most important photo of the day is of Reesie on my lap.  
Now if anyone ever posted such an unflattering picture of me online, I'd kick them.  Since Reesie hasn't figured out how to use a computer, I think I am safe.  

She is a dear, sweet cat who loves me beyond measure.  Me, just me.  Everyone else, she wards off with a Rottweiler-like growl.  This is kind of typical of Calico cats, who tend to attach pretty strongly to just one person.  

Aside from sitting around with Reesie on my lap, I have been busy in the sewing room and with my knitting needles.  

In the sewing room I'm putting the finishing touches on a baby quilt, using the Merry Go Round blocks that I shared in an earlier post.  I was going to add sashings around every block but just flat out didn't feel like it, so I sewed them together today and tomorrow will add a border of the pink fabric.  


I've been going through my stash of yarn, knitting away the yarns I've bought and not yet used.  There are surprisingly few, and I'm not stopping on the stash until it is down all the way.  This sweet little baby blanket will go to one of the local NICU units.  It's the perfect size to swaddle a tiny baby with and is a perfect blend of bamboo and cotton.  
Now that the baby blanket is off my needles, I have started a scarf/wrap using some Cascade 220 Super Wash I had on hand.  The pattern looks complicated, but is really very easy and is a fun knit.  

And, of course, the weather in New England occupies a big chunk of my mind, as I look forward to returning to the lake.  That can't happen until the snow banks melt back so that we can get in!  And, with the way things are going, that's not going to happen real fast.  The nights remain below freezing, and yesterday we got another fresh couple of inches.  That's all great fun, as that couple of inches broke the previous record snowfall for a winter in the Boston area.  

The record that was broken was of the winter of 1995-1996 and I remember it well.  The bank at the back of our driveway became a very solid pack about 10 feet tall, and Dave and the kids spent the winter months digging tunnels and building snow caves.  It kept everyone busy and provided good memories of grand winters in New England.  
Yesterday's snowfall that ended up breaking the record!
Spring feels very far away with snow banks from as low as 3' to as tall as 10' to melt away.  It will melt, and Spring will arrive.  And, I will continue with my own record of starts and finishes during this long season.  

Prior to heading off to the lake, I have a few things to tackle here.  The first is yet another procedure on March 27, on my knee replacement.  A surgeon will be doing an arthroscope to remove scar tissue and adhesions that have formed and prevented my knee from bending as it should, and which are a source of pain.  Hopefully this will fix the problems I've had since the knee replacement in 11/2013.  If this fix isn't it, I'm done.  

Once recovery from the surgery is complete, there will be the preparations to move to the lake... not just for the season, but possibly for good.  As Dave heads into retirement, we are going to take a stab at living in the year round lake house year round.  Anna and a friend will be renting our home here north of Boston, and so we have a lot of clearing out to do.  

It's a bit frightening to me, heading off to this new life in a small house on a lake, with a retired husband, 3 dogs and two cats.  It will be an adventure, there is no doubt about that.  I look forward to being surrounded by nature each and every day, and to building a life in the small New Hampshire Town of Northwood.  

4 comments:

  1. Life is busy, Angela. You pack a lot into one post! The quilt is perfect without dashing a, no need for them with that design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, blogger won't take my whole comment. Have to do it in installments. I like that you are knitting so fast! I put my needles and yarn by my chair a week ago, but so far my hands don't want to pick them up. Haha...take care of that knee, know others who are somewhat disappointed as well. You will do the best thing for you, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to hearing all about you adventure!
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.