"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WINTER IN NEW ENGLAND

Unless you are living under a rock, you are well aware that we are having a fabulous winter here in New England.  We live on the North Shore of Boston, which has been the bullseye of many of the storms.  Records have been broken, ice dams are abundant, and every day I am awed by the beauty of the landscape.   I am a true New Englander.  

The view from my sewing machine.  Our fence is 5' tall.  


Heading down our street after the most recent storm.  

That's our home, behind that tall snowbank!
The thing I love the most about a good New England winter
is that the sky will take on a color that you rarely see.
This photo captured that color perfectly.  

Home sweet buried Home.
Anna's puppy Lila and my Cassy Girl.
Obviously, Lila is a New England Girl, even
though she was born and rescued in California
It's not all lollipops and roses, just ask Dave

There is a whole lotta misery going on in people's homes, because of these
delightful formations called ice dams.  We do not have water back up into our
home as a result of our fabulous ice dams, because our gutters are a foot
away from the house with a large eave.  Others are not as fortunate.  


Not lost on me are the difficulties that this weather has brought to the lives of thousands of people.  It definitely is not all lollipops and roses.  The public transit system in Boston is shut down and people cannot get to work.  A vast majority of those people are not going to receive any type of pay checks for all of those lost days.  Billions of dollars have been lost by businesses.  Peoples' cars and homes have been damaged, people have gotten hurt, some have died.  

Now it's time to pray for a slow, moderate melt.  If that's not the case, then the winter of 2014-2015 will continue to give and give, in the form of drainage problems and flooded basements.  We have a drainage system surrounding the outside of our house, and in our basement we have a perimeter drain and sump pumps.  We will not flood.  Others will.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear friend I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. So glad that your home was built with so many precautions. Smart builder! Please stay safe!
    Hugs
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering (and hoping you'd post) how you've been. Oh, the winter you've been having. I know there are those who are suffering - but golly, is it beautiful. Those ice dams are the worst. Fortunate not to have them myself - I've seen several homes damaged myself. Stay inside until it melts --- say June! lol Hugs to you - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly beautiful, but enough! Ive always wanted to live in New England, but no more. NJ is looking bad too, but not AS bad. Stay safe, and kudos to you for tackling those challenging quilts! Big quilts are no longer in my future. I need small, quick and easy now.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.