"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

KNITTING

Carrying on with the update of my life here in New England, I'll share the knitting I've done while I've been ignoring my blog.  

My Mom formed a 4-H Fiber Arts club when my sister and I were quite young.  I didn't realize then what a great gift she gave us when she decided to teach a bunch of young girls the fiber arts she had grown up with.  For my mom, it was a necessity--the sewing of wardrobes, the knitting of sweaters.  There was no money or desire for store bought clothing, including winter coats.  

Now, those arts that she taught me keep me going, especially during these New England winters when the ground underfoot is too icy for me to chance.  So, I knit.  And, I love it.  The rhythm of the needles, and the excitement of the pattern emerging from my needles is something I now cannot live without.  My hands do not work as well as they once did, but my knitting does.    

I've had some starts and finishes over these cold months.   

Of course I made a Christmas stocking for Anna's puppy Lila.  

I had a bunch of Martha Stewart craft yarn left from previous projects,
a bit of this and a bit of that.   I decided to use it all up to make a blanket
for Project Linus, and to use this corner to corner pattern, the same
one I use to make my cotton dish cloths.  I just grabbed a ball at a
time and knit until it was gone, so there is no rhyme or reason
to the stripes.  When I was nearly done, Anna
remarked upon how much she loved the blanket and could she give it
as a gift to a friend who will be having a baby boy in April.  So, I made a
hat to match, and now it's a personal gift for Anna to give.
I think this is my go-to pattern for all baby blankets now.
With stripes added, it has a lot of character and it is delightfully
mindless to knit.  

I finished this lap afghan for myself, and it is perfectly warm
and bouncy and soft.  I am addicted to Chevron patterns right now
and will probably crank out a Chevron quilt in the sewing room
before too long.  

My favorite scarf----Hitchhiker, available on Revelry.
I had this luscious hand dyed wool sitting and waiting to be put
to work, and it has been.  I've now finished this scarf to give
as a gift to a friend as thanks for her great kindness over the years.
I know she does not expect anything in return, and will
be surprised and thrilled to receive this.  
Presently on my needles I have another corner to corner baby blanket.  I've been digging through my yarn collection and using all that I have on hand, and I've made a pledge to not buy any yarn until that collection is gone.  This will not be easy.  The fingering weight hand-dyed yarns that are easily available and popular right now call to me.  But, they are expensive, and I have enough yarn in my stash to keep me knitting for quite a while.  

3 comments:

  1. I love all of it! You're an expert knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't knit or crochet, but sometimes wish I did...then I think, no, I have enough hobbies. When people say they are bored, I always wonder how are you bored? There are so many things I want to do and make...but I sit here and blog instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally skipped telling you that I do love the blanket...and your scarf is a scrumptious color.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.