"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, March 21, 2014

QUILTS AND COLOR: THE PILGRIM/ROY COLLECTION AT THE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS IN BOSTON

I love museums and I love quilts, so when the two join forces, my cup runneth over.  

The Pilgrim/Roy collection will be at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, from April 6 until July 27.  I cannot wait to spend a day at the Museum, absorbing all I can from this collection.  I love that the Museum isn't just slapping these quilts up on the wall and calling it a day, but instead is turning it into a lesson in color and design, and who cannot get enough of that?  I sure can't.  

Apparently this exhibition of 59 quilts is a tiny piece of a collection belonging to artist Gerald Roy and the late Paul Pilgrim, who over 5 decades gathered over 1200 quilts in their collection.  From the MFA site relating to this exhibition I especially appreciated this description of the collection:  Many were created by anonymous women from diverse communities stretching from 19th-century Massachusetts and Amish and Mennonite Pennsylvania to Depression-era Missouri. Quilting gave them a voice in a time when there were few opportunities for women to express themselves artistically.

How often do I forget that as I make my quilts, I am using my artistic voice?  I often have to remind myself that quilting isn't just sewing, it's talking.  

If you would like to learn a bit more about this exhibition, click on this link.  

I thought it would be great fun to gather as many New England Quilting Bloggers as we could to meet up at the Museum to share in the viewing of this fabulous collection, but I'm not very good at arranging such things.  In spite of that, if there's some Quilting Bloggers who would like to make a date to share a day at the museum, let's see what we can do to get that organized.  

One of the quilts in the Pilgrim/Roy Collection

1 comment:

  1. Wish I was close enough to take part. I know you will not waste a second while viewing this exhibit!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.