"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, December 1, 2013

NEW KNEE!

On November 20, I got that new knee I'd waited so long for. Another lesson in be careful what you wish for...

I know, thanks for that visual. This picture was about one week post op.... if you think this is ugly, you should see the photo taken on day 3. This is such a painful surgery, I don't know how others come through it so gracefully.  I thus far have not. With MS, there are no safe nerve blocks and so I missed out on that luxury. And since narcotics and opioids make me puke, pain relief has been elusive. This has been very difficult on our household.  I hope that as two weeks post op arrives, the situation will improve. If it doesn't...I'll wait. 

I am up and around the house with a walker and have visiting nurses, physical therapists and home care coming and going constantly. The PT is nothing short of torture and most days I think "ya know it doesn't matter to me if my knee never bends again, I'm good, you can leave now."  

Now, every surgery is very different on every person…. but I am going to tell you that if your knee kinda hurts and gosh you think maybe you need a replacement…. do your homework and do it well.  A smart surgeon will come and tell you straight out--this is probably one of the most painful orthopedic surgeries we perform.  

I was beyond having any choice about a knee replacement, as we replaced a knee that suffered a pretty significant injury and surgery 40 years ago.  Post surgery, the surgeon told us "it was a horrible in there."  

Strangest outcome of the surgery is the fluffy white thing they apparently surgically attached to me
This is what my lap looks like ALL THE TIME!  When I stand up or take a shower it does somehow detach itself, but otherwise, this is what my lap looks like post surgery. This growth is really rather cute but is a bit demanding.  I hope that behavior diminishes along with the pain. 

Most of all, I hope that before long I'll have some quilting to share.  For now I'm enjoying hopping around your blogs!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Angela! I hope you are feeling a bit better today. Hopefully soon the pain will be gone. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you had gotten it done. I am glad for you that it is finally over but having a daughter who is an OT and many friends who have had the surgery I know it is very painful. I am surprised they did not do inpatient therapy. Devin sees knee patients in Good Shephard Rehab, where she works, all the time. Usually for about 3 weeks before they go home (pre-Obamacare it was 4 to 6 weeks). I know it is hard but there is light at the end of the tunnel my friend Maureen says having her knee done was one of the best decisions of her life (it's been a few years) and is thinking about having the other one done. I pray you have similar results. Until then relax with your stitching and let everyone else wait on you.
    Love and Hugs
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Week...get well girl! And keep that fluff handy to hide another pic like this one. Seriously, you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. so glad to finally hear about your surgery. I have a colleague who had both done at the same time (due to the threat of losing her insurance). This too shall pass. I have been thinking of you and remembering way back when you injured that knee. Your fluffy growth is a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I just cringe...you are one brave woman to go through this knowing you cannot take anything for the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all such dear friends and I love you all….. and it's especially to see the name "Patricia Jensen" here, as I'm thinking she MAY have been on the back end of the toboggan that hit the chain link vs. toboggan crash that started this whole mess so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello fellow bionic woman! I just got my new knee on Nov. 26, so we seem to be on a similar path. My surgeon was up front about the pain. He said that of the shoulders, hips, and knees he replaces, knees seem to be the most painful. Well, I sure won't argue with him! And, about that block. I had a block, and they were not ready for it to wear off when it did, so I was left with no pain medication coverage at all on the first night. That was when I decided I wasn't doing the other knee!

    Now, though, at 3.5 weeks, the pain is much better, and I am doing very well on the rehab aspects. Our house is very small, and I walk around without even a cane most of the time. I was at 116 degrees flexion on day 8, and I am sure I am well beyond the goal of 120 now. I still tire quickly, so I rest.

    But, I'm still not doing the other knee.

    Nice to meet you :-) Thank you for sharing your knee experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello fellow bionic woman! I just got my new knee on Nov. 26, so we seem to be on a similar path. My surgeon was up front about the pain. He said that of the shoulders, hips, and knees he replaces, knees seem to be the most painful. Well, I sure won't argue with him! And, about that block. I had a block, and they were not ready for it to wear off when it did, so I was left with no pain medication coverage at all on the first night. That was when I decided I wasn't doing the other knee!

    Now, though, at 3.5 weeks, the pain is much better, and I am doing very well on the rehab aspects. Our house is very small, and I walk around without even a cane most of the time. I was at 116 degrees flexion on day 8, and I am sure I am well beyond the goal of 120 now. I still tire quickly, so I rest.

    But, I'm still not doing the other knee.

    Nice to meet you :-) Thank you for sharing your knee experience.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.