"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, September 16, 2013

BEFORE AND AFTER

I hesitated to write this post, but decided to do so with the hope that my story and pictures may inspire someone to do as I have done. 

What I have done is gone from this:
 To This
in four months time.  I owe Anna an apology for allowing my weight to go so far out of control just in time for her college graduation:  Sorry Anna!

Now, 30 pounds lighter, I am no longer embarrassed or ashamed and it's once again safe for the family to point a camera at me.  

We all know that diets do not work.  So, it wasn't a diet that kicked my substantial butt into gear, it was health.  It was a primary care physician telling me that diabetes is a mere 5 years or less away if I continued on the path I was on.  So, with the help of a glucometer and her patient educator, I got a grip.  I am never hungry, I am off nearly all carbs, and I can move around a lot more comfortably.  

We all have different motivators, there's no magic spell or fairy dust to set on ourselves to motivate.  Working with a great primary care physician is a good first step, I think.  

Perhaps I will lose more, time will tell.  But, I am not looking so much at pounds as at blood glucose readings 2 times a day, and they are perfect, without any medications.  

There are some health conditions we can control, diabetes being one of them.  There are many we cannot.  I felt very motivated to be in control of the one I could control.  

6 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME! Angela. The important parts of slimming are health and just feeling more comfortable in your skin, or how your organs are operating. I don't have health issues (knock on wood) but I FEEL so much better when I'm not eating grains. My gut feels better, my energy level is better...I'm glad you found what works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.