"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, July 15, 2013

A BEACH QUILT

I am finishing off a couple of quilts to send to the long-armer.  The first one is a beach quilt for Anna, our beach baby.  I made it out of men's striped dress shirts, 4" squares and 7.5" squares.  
 I hadn't originally planned to add the border of blue-striped squares, but I had the pile of them sitting there already to go and so just went with it.  For the corners on the border I added the whimsical fish squares.  I'm not sure if I like that either!  
 When cutting the shirts for the quilt, I captured as many details as I could, such as logos:

 And pockets:
The backing is to be blue ticking and the "batting" will be an old cotton blanket, as batting would not hold up well to being repeatedly soaked, sanded and dragged.  

2 comments:

  1. Angela: A very pretty quilt, and you serve to remind me to search for a long-arm quilter, as I have some that need to be finished, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...and love that it is made from men's shirts. I have made two quilts that way, but don't have a pic of one. anyway, ran across the pic of the one made from flannels and that got me in the mood to do more...so have been collecting men's shirts and have a lot of them alread cut apart and buttons off, but have just as many that I need to de-button and cut the seams out. But I keep working on other things.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.