"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, March 18, 2013

THE GREEN PAW

A while ago I started a quilt for me and Dave.  And, as usual, I challenged myself.  That challenge has turned out to be worthwhile, as you can see
Good grief is all I can say.  This quilt was a ridiculous amount of work.  It is mostly done.  Next my quilting teacher/mentor Rhonda will come in and square it up, I'll add a border of the solid green, and off it will go to be custom quilted.  I was thinking of doing the math to count the parts, but I'm too tired to do that.  

Seams, seams and more seams.  


I feel pretty certain that Rhonda is going to redesign my corner triangles, which are a bit lackluster and may be short on width also.  

A few people have contacted me over time, asking if I would share this pattern.  Since I made this using only a picture of a quilt I found online, Rhonda and I made a pattern as we went along.  Here it is:  
Also at one point a X-stitching blogger contacted me to see if I would make this quilt on commission.  Of course I will, for about a million dollars.  

My friend Sue hit the nail right on the head when she described this as a "once in a lifetime" quilt.  Sue and my sister Christine, along with teacher Rhonda, were my cheer leaders behind the scenes on this project.  However, I do believe every once in a while I heard a murmur of "she's mental you know."  

This all started when dear Dave told me he wanted a "Bear Paw" quilt for us.  And, of course, I could not do a plain old traditional bear paw.... of course not.  

Next in line is a lap quilt for a gift and after that it's onto a queen sized batik quilt for our son Paul.  It's always one quilt at a time.  That's about as much confusion as I can take.  

3 comments:

  1. Lol! I agree, not for less than a million bucks! I get tired just looking at it, but it is awesomely gorgeous and a family heirloom! I have a "once in a lifetime" quilt too. It was right after that one when I decided to start beading, knitting and making dolls. Haha! I'm in awe that you have a queen size in your plans. Another big LOL is your pattern. I love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Glad it's over. Lol. This once in a life time? Didn't you recently finish a Kaffe million pieces once in a life time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful...can't wait to see it quilted and all. I am sure you can't either. It seems like I always have something ahead of me to do...and just so much I want to do. I have a baby quilt pin basted...now all I have to do is decide how to quilt it. I even got the binding made today. I have found that I love to make the top, then the binding, then do the the quilting. I don't like to quilt it then have to stop and make the binding.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.