"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, March 18, 2013

BABY HATS

Way back when, I worked in Boston, taking the commuter train in every day.  I rode with a bunch of girlfriends and instead of just gabbing our way in, we decided to have a knitting club.  Our project was to knit hats for babies in the NICUs in Boston hospitals.  I think we ended up contributing close to 500 hats over time.  

I also remember the nurses telling us that the size they need the most is one that just fits over a closed fist.  

Recently I finished another shawl, and needed some quick-finish knitting before tackling another large project.  So, I decided to return to those days, and so again have been knitting baby hats for preemies.  

These were finished in one week.  The dark blue one is a gift for a friend of a friend, expecting her first grandchild.  
This style makes the tiniest ones, slightly larger than my fist.  Every time I knit one, I recall
that our two children were born late and with full-sized noggins.  We have been so blessed.

This pattern is so easy, it's knit in the round, no messy seam to rub on the baby's head.  These, however, are a
bit too large for a preemie, so I'm now making this pattern with fingering yarn on a size 3 needle,
that'll make a tiny cap.  

1 comment:

  1. I love them...I don't knit but seeing things like this makes me wish I did.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.