"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

HERE I AM, I AM HERE

Happy New Year!  I've not been blogging since early November, shame on me.  I had this crazy notion in my mind that I wasn't going to blog til I finished this project:



It's the Bear Paw king sized quilt that I am making for our bed.  And, as you can see, it is not done.  I think I have one more row, a center one, to go.  Since that long center row takes more parts than I can count.... it takes a while.  First make around 90 1/2 square triangles, then make them into paws, then add the center pieces and square to make it into a block, then the striped sashings in between blocks and the nine patches.  OK my brain is roiling just thinking of it, so I'll take it one piece at a time.   

While I've been "finishing" this project, I have actually really finished a whole bunch of others, and here they come:

I knit a Nemo for Anna for Xmas.  I hated this project but loved the results.
Of course, the best part was the look on Anna's face when she opened this present.  She loved it! 

For Paul for Xmas I took this very old X stitch I'd found in a thrift shop (50 cents) and framed it.
He was thrilled with it, and accompanying it was a book of Robert Frost's work.  

Anna's company in California was sponsoring a family at Camp Pendleton during the holiday season.
Anna asked for some home made items and I was happy to oblige.
I loved making these knit balls, they were great fun and make the perfect toy for the baby in the family.
 They can be tossed around the house without injuring anything.
The bag carries two bottles of wine (or so I'm told) and so made a nice gift for the parents.  
This little muffin is Neikko, and he is one of Anna's roommates in California.
I sewed a couple of neckerchiefs for him for the holidays and included
them in my shipment of hand made items.  He saw the knitted Xmas
balls and of course had to have one.  It became his favorite toy very quickly.  

Of course Misty wanted knit toys to call her own.  

I had some Baby Bunny cotton yarn left from a project,
so knit up a layette sized soft and cuddly baby blankie.  

This waffle design is my favorite for a baby blanket.
And, when knit out of cotton it actually makes a good towel .  

I finished a baby blanket I'd started last summer.  An easy-peasy pattern that Barbara at Pinelands Treasures
had shared with me.  It's knit from the corner outward then back in.  

It is a perfect square when finished. 
I finished a shawl for me, knit out of bamboo/wool blend yarn.  It is soft and bouncy and luxurious.  

I've not quite figured out exactly how one wears such a garment.
I'm not a very fancy woman, and this is a very fancy garment.  
I have started a prayer shawl.  I love this pattern, it is so easy!
There are only two rows in the pattern once you've
gotten the border done.  It's a great mindless project.  
I continue to stitch on Flutterby, from Tam's Creations.
I haven't put as much time into it as I'd like to.
It is fun to work on and I am loving the results.  

And, here's the Xmas present that Dave bought for me.
It is a Martelli cutting table,  which was auctioned off  by Poodle Rescue of Vermont.
It has an electric lift that allows you to adjust the height of the table,
allowing me to sit and cut on those days when standing isn't the thing to do.
I love it!



So, it's been a productive few months, with holidays and visitors thrown in.  Anna was able to be home from California and Paul from Amherst, MA, for the holiday, and that was the greatest gift of all.  

Our critters are doing well, and Bella's eye surgery in November was a smashing success.  No longer does she have to live with the pain of dry eye, and with the layer of green goop.  Her eyes drool nicely.  She is a good, good, dog, and fits in wonderfully with our pack.  It feels as if she has been with us forever.  

In late November, I officially retired as the Business Manager and Treasurer of Schnauzer Paws Rescue.  Although I will always be involved in rescue in some way or another, I am done with the day to day tasks involved in running a rescue and welcoming in foster dogs and all that.  Dave and I were able to patch together 3 of our most satisfying rescues ever this year and it brought to me a feeling of satisfaction and pride, and knowledge that we had made a difference and probably always will, but can now do so in the back ground.  

I carry on, as always, and enjoy all that life has to offer.  MS and I still fight one another, and it continues to rob me of little pieces here and there, and I continue to battle back.  My biggest fight at this point is that I have lost the feeling in the tips of all 10 fingers and that is nuts, I'll tell you, nuts.  My eyes are now my fingertips, and so I thank God every day for my clear vision.  

Happy New Year!  




6 comments:

  1. You've been uber busy! Lovely! All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been one busy lady! I was beginning to worry (although my blogging is sporadic at best lol). Love everything your have made and I am so glad that you had all your family for the holidays.
    Hang in there my friend,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Angela, this surely brings me up to date! Your projects are all awesome, I love the baby blanket that came from my pattern. I will reply to your email soon, in the meantime be well friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have sure been busy! Your quilt is going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you sure have accomplished a lot. Would you tell me more about the table. I also have MS so I absolutely know how valuable that lift table is.I just started following you and I'm encouraged by what you get done. I Dont work anymore due to also having recurrent transverse myelitis.come visit my blog too if you can. I do mostly cross stitch but I do love to sew as well:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll answer Sarah's question about Martelli tables here so that everyone knows the answer. They are sold by Martelli Enterprises and they are ridiculously expensive. The one I have would retail for $3000! I paid a fraction of that since this table was used and had been left behind in a home purchased by the director of Poodle Rescue of Vermont. So, they were just trying to get out of it what they could, and we made and offer and it got accepted. Right now, I would not have paid $3000 for this table. However, now that I have it in my home, I can't imagine living without it. If I were wheelchair-bound and the only way I could work at my quilting was to have a Martelli table, then somehow I'd figure out a way to get my hands on one, it's the only good handicapped-accessible table I've seen.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.