"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, May 17, 2012

HOME MADE STUFF

Have for a long time been wanting to quit buying cleaning products which I know are over priced and full of junk we don't need in our environment.

Since I've run out of dishwasher powder, I've researched a bit and am going to make some home made to try.  The recipe is:

1/4 tsp Dawn liquid
1/2 tsp baking soda

Dissolve in 1/2 cup of warm water and pour into dishwasher cups.  I'll report back on the results.  Never fill the cup with dishwashing liquid---my sister and I did that once and shoveled bubbles for a day.


Another recipe I'll be trying soon is for home made laundry detergent which I know works very well, as I know people who swear by it as the best.  I believe the recipe comes from Michelle Duggar of 19 kids and counting, and I suppose that woman knows laundry better than any of us!

Home Made Liquid Laundry Soap (Front or top load machines)

Ingredients:  4 Cups hot tap water, 1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap, 1 Cup of Arm and Hammer Super Washing soda, 1/2 cup Borax (although I hate WalMart with a passion, that's where you can find all of these items in once place)

Directions.  Grate the bar of soap and put into a saucepan with the water.  Stir constantly over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

Fill a five gallon bucket 1/2 full of hot tap water.  Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax.  Stir well until all powder is dissolved.  Fill bucket to top with more hot water.  Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap bottle half full with the soap and then fill rest of the way with water.

Shake before each used, as it will gel.

--You can add 10-15 drops of essential oils per 2 gallons.  Add once the soap has cooled.  Ideas:  lavender, rosemary, tea tree aoil.

--Yield:  10 gallons---so have a lot of empty laundry jugs on hand!

--Top Load Machine--5/8 cup per load (about 180 loads)

--Front Load Machine--1/4 cup per load (about 640 loads)


I'm going to make a great big attempt to live greener and more simply and cheaply.  I do believe you can keep a home clean and sparkling by keeping the following items on hand:  borax, baking soda, vinegar, tea tree oil (kills bacteria), bleach and ammonia (don't mix them together!)..... plus elbow grease and cotton rags made from old tee shirts.





5 comments:

  1. I do remember the bubbles in the dishwasher! You are turning into an earth mother. Paul must have influenced you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it works. We have started going to the health store. We are using Dr. Bonner's oil soaps. One large bottle ($12-$16 depending on the store) lasts months and we use it for shampoo and body soap. Comes in different scents. my favorite is peppermint and DH uses the tea tree oil as it cleared up the rash he had on his leg for months. Also Kiss My Face olive oil soap has been great for my face. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck with the homemade dishwasher detergent. I would worry that the bubbles problem will still happen even with just a little Dawn. Applause for your efforts to make your own cleaners. I also try to use vinegar and ammonia, and have been buying the "Green" cleaners, and unscented products as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to report that the dishwasher soap worked perfectly and I did not end up shoveling bubbles. Having had a bubble nightmare in my past, I was very careful measuring that scant 1/4 tsp of Dawn.

    We also love Dr. Bonner's soaps and started using those ages ago when on canoe trips and camping, as it's totally biodegradable. I'm pretty sure that somewhere on one of their complicated labels are instructions on using it as a laundry soap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I use a combo of the laundry ingredients minus the water, there's really no need to make up 10 gallons of liquid soap. 1 tablespoon in the wash and it even takes out dog odor from towels. That was the true test. I'll look for the exact ratio Neptha, Washing Soda and Baking Soda. I also added a bit of Oxyclean.

    ps: Bleach and Ammonia are toxic. Tea Tree Oil is a good antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal essential oil.

    Here's some general info. and uses: http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/household-cleaner.htm

    Glad to see you going green in this department.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.