"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TWINED HATS

I recently made hats for a couple of very special outdoor enthusiasts.   I double knit them by the "twining" method of knitting with two balls of yarn at once,  alternating which strand would form a stitch.  The strand that isn't being used is held under the yarn being used, which is different then when you are doing a Norwegian knit, where yarn is carried over.

Amazing what a small change like that can make in the construction of a hat!  These are supposed to be super windproof, and I knit them out of 100% wool. Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash.  The "brim" of the hat is actually a two layered tube, the concept being the body's heat will get in the tube and provide super warmth.

For the pom poms I bought some new Clover brand pom pom makers and I love them.  All I had on hand was my mom's old donut shaped piece of plastic, the original pom pom maker.  It was lousy.
Here's the inside of the hat, where you can see the the twining and how it makes a super double layer.

I made these hats for my son Paul and his girlfriend JoJo.  Extraordinary wilderness and outdoors enthusiasts they are, and so need warm hats.  For spring break they went to Kentucky to climb rock cliffs and I knitted these hats especially for that trip.  In spite of the fact that it was 80 degrees out, they donned the hats and sent a picture.

This is my favorite picture of the hats.  :)

4 comments:

  1. How cute! Both the hats & JoJo & Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, the photo is precious! And you are, indeed, a master knitter! I can knit (and maybe outlet on a good day ;), but that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was supposed to read "maybe purl on a good day" but my phone thought I meant outlet. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spell Check ain't all it's cracked up to be!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.