"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A VERY SPECIAL QUILT DELIVERY

This evening Dave and I enjoyed delivering Diagonal Madness to our dear friends, John and Nancy.  They have a giant empty wall in their great room and of course it screamed "QUILT NEEDED HERE" to me.  John and Nancy picked out Diagonal Madness, from Kaffe Fassett's Country Garden Quilts, and I started it last September.  

It was truly a pleasure to make this quilt for these friends.  As with every quilt I make, I learned so much along the way.  The fact that it came out square tells me I have learned my lessons well, I am very proud of this quilt.  

John and Nancy are both quite tall, and so when they held up the quilt it was the first time I had seen it in all it's glory.   WOW!!!

By the smiles on their faces, you can see that John and Nancy felt the same way, WOW!

Now it's up to them to figure out how to hang this quilt on the wall, that's not my department.  For batting, the quilter used bamboo/polyester, 80%/20%.  It makes the quilt very light and gives it a nice drape for hanging.  Once it's on the wall, I will capture that and post it.  

I did forget to get a picture of the label to this quilt, and will have to get a picture of it.  John and Nancy have a darling daughter, Mallory.  It has been a joy to watch her grow up into a lovely young lady, and I just knew I wanted this quilt to be hers some day.  With John and Nancy's permission, I embroidered a label that reads "To Mallory Hall, When this You See, Please Think of Me" plus my name, date and city and state.  It's an ego kick to believe that my quilts will survive me and those who receive them will think of me.  

 Back to the sewing room, I have a list of 4 quilts to make, so on I go.  First it'll be a quilt for me and Dave, the Bear's Paw, then there is a baby quilt, then a queen sized quilt for our son Paul, then one for my brother Jeff and wife Margaret, and after that a quilt for dear friends Scott and Paul.  Ambitious!  I wonder if it'll take a year or two for all this.  I know that by the time I finish Scott and Paul's quilt, there will be another list on the wall.  I love making quilts.  I love giving them to family and friends. 


Stay tuned and you will see. 

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Utterly amazing & lovely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I sat here mentally taking it apart to see what the pattern really was. It's almost overwhelming. Mallory has a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful!! I wish I could do that - you are one talented lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And after that a Diagonal Madness quilt for your sister......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Christine, you are delusional again!! You, who have been quilting for 20 years more than I, could knock a Diagonal Madness off in a month!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.