"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, August 11, 2011

OUT OF CONTROL, COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL

Apparently I am under the impression that I'm going to live to be 120 years old and be healthy and sharp enough to sew, stitch and knit myself to my grave.  That's how many projects I have lined up.  

So, here's what I am working on:  

IN THE SEWING ROOM

a quilt for our bed!  It's about time.  Everyone else has my quilts on their beds and walls, now it's our turn.    David had wanted a bear's paw quilt, and I wanted a bear's paw quilt with a bit extra to it.  I found this picture, no pattern, online, and have my trusty quilting teacher Rhonda supervising me and writing the pattern as we go along. 


I am a very lucky quilter, I have a sewing room.  That means that when I have a project going on, I have a space all my own to completely trash, and I am very good at that part of quilting.  After each project I tidy and clean and prepare for the next mess, but when there's a project on the table, all bets are off as to whether or not it's safe to walk in to my sewing room.  

 

ON MY KNITTING NEEDLES

I always have a baby afghan going, always.  No one seems to want sweaters anymore, and I got tired of making socks, so I started making baby afghans.  I stockpile them and when a baby comes along, I have an afghan.  There better be a whole lotta baby's in our future, because I have a whole lotta afghans. 

ON MY HOOP

The Three Kings, a design by Diane Arthurs, I love her designs.  When I do a cross-stitch, I make a copy of the pattern and mount it on cardboard, then cross the stitches off as I do them.  I am a VERY visual learner.  



IN LINE

Okay, here's where it gets really ridiculous:  

I saw these wee bird designs on someone's blog and I just have to make them.  

This is the companion piece to The Three Kings, how can I not do it? 


This combines my two favorite things--quilting and cross-stitching!  Next to each letter is a quilt block whose name begins with that letter.  

I will make this quilt in Queen Size for my dear friends Scott and Paul.  
I will be making this quilt in queen size for my son.  Will also be making it in lap size for a cousin, and I think also in crib size for a baby that has been born.   

I don't know who I'm going to make this for, maybe us, and I know my color choices will look a whole lot better than those in the picture.  


And, if all the above is not enough, I recently made friends with 3 other cross stitch bloggers, and joined in on a stitch along with them.  We will be starting this pattern on Monday!  

I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, but you get the idea, right?

3 comments:

  1. I think we all get out of control. A friend of mine just gave me some cross stitch magazines that she had and I cut out the patterns I liked - I now have 7 binders full!! Then she gave me 3 more giant binders of hers and 8 books of patterns! This of course does not count the many, many patterns that I have bought over the years and my loom knitting. Started the Three Kings even though we are starting the Northwind and I am still working on my quaker! At least we will be living to 120 together lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It keeps us young having something to think about and having plans...

    my boss used to have big plans for me when I would go in for work...enough to keep me busy for a week...his wife said something to him about it but I told her it was fine...it gave me goals to know what I was working towards.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.