"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, July 9, 2011

THAT PLANT HAS BLOOMED!

In the middle of June I posted pictures of a mystery plant that we'd taken off an empty lot and added to our landscape.  At the time, I asked if anyone knew what it is. 

My Friend Sue's friend identified it immediately as a Yucca.  Ya, right, in New England?  Absolutely, she was right on the money.  I had no idea that there are varieties of Yucca for just about every climate.  I think they are rare here in New England, as no one here could imagine a Yucca surviving in this area so don't bother planting any. 

Anyhow, it's finally bloomed, and it is spectacular and I can tell those blooms are not going to last long.  The flower stalks grew to be about 6 feet tall. 


The blooms are like little hats for the garden pixies.  You can see there is fluid dripping from the blooms, and I wonder if it is used for medicinal purposes or nourishment.  I've not see many bees around it, so that's another mystery to solve. 

 Also blooming are the irises planted at the top of the waterfall. 

Dave had rescued these plants last summer, from a spot in the yard where they were doing very poorly.  Obviously, they are loving their new spot. 

Okay, that's enough talk about blooming flowers, let's get down to business.  The empty lot behind our house is completely covered in wild blackberries.  Now we're talking.  It's going to be a bumper crop this year, with all the rain in June.  I know that Dave and Anna will be hopping the fence the moment a berry is ripe, and hopefully they will not eat all of them on the way back to the kitchen.  This picture came out a bit blurry, but you get the idea, we have blackberries hanging over our fence!


Perhaps you've noticed that there's no mention of sewing anywhere in this post.  There's a reason for that, and it is that I haven't been sewing in a couple of weeks.  I'll get back there soon, as the quilting is finished on Diagonal Madness, AND I have my Bear's Paw to work on.... plus a long list of quilts to make after that. 

2 comments:

  1. HI Angela! I just love your beautiful back yard! We just put in a stone patio and I just love the look. I think a water feature is in my future. Hope you are staying cool in this miserably hot July.

    Rose
    http://christmascitystitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Angela, we have Yukka's in many gardens and occasionally on the side of the road here in Central CT.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.