"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A QUILT FOR US

Finally, I am getting around to making a quilt for our bed.  Dave wanted a Bear's Paw, which was fine with me, but I wanted a design with a bit more to it and was thrilled when I found this design online: 
I could not find a pattern anywhere, and I just can't do a thing without a pattern or recipe.  So, I called on Rhonda, a wonderful woman and teacher of quilting.  She came over and got me started.  

I chose these fabrics:

My first step was to make the Claws, 1/2 square triangles.  Have you ever used Triangles on a Roll?  I love them.  You get a very accurate square, mass produced, in very little time.  Rhonda had me cut the two pieces of fabric different than one another--one piece with the selvage across the long side and the other piece with the stretch along the long side.  This way, when you get your triangles, the stretch and stable on 1/2 of the squares is going this way and on the other half that way.  This is so I can adhere to Rhonda's Commandment of stretch is always horizontal.  Following that commandment has gotten me out of many messes. 

Now, one of my own commandments could have helped me when putting my first set of pieces together.  That commandment "don't be a knucklehead" would have stopped me from using the ivory fabric for the 3 x 3 block that I attached the claws to.  Honest to goodness.  And, I didn't even notice this til I after I had published this post the first time!!  Tomorrow I will post a REAL set of pieces. 
Now, this all made me think of a woman I met at a Kaffe Fassett workshop at Tennessee Quilts in Jonesboro, Tennessee.  She was going around the room with her digital camera, taking pictures of everyone's designs on their boards.  I thought, "well, the nerve of her!"  Then she came around to me and asked if I'd like to see the picture of my design, and I said of course.  She explained that she never moves very far forward on a quilt without viewing a picture, as for some reason you can look at a block for hours and not see the same thing that you see in a picture.  She was right, I remember looking at that picture and changing some of my design.  Just another reason to love those quilters from Tennessee. 

1 comment:

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.