"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

PINWHEEL QUILT FINISHED

As I had shared in an earlier post, one of Dave's cousins in Western Pennsylvania recently celebrated the birth of her first great grand child and asked if I would make a quilt for that baby.  Absolutely, positively, although I was a bit intimidated to be making a quilt to send to the land of some very amazing quilters.  

So, I set my sights high and pulled fabrics out of the closet and here it is,

 I love this quilt!!
Some quilts I make and think they are fine and lovely, 
something about this one makes me WOW myself.  

The quilting was once again done by Janet Barnet, I absolutely adore her work, she never over shadows or over quilts a quilt.  
 
Janet was my first quilt instructor, and was the one who got me going in the right direction and especially she taught me to love this craft.  That was about 3 years ago, when she directed me through my first Yellow Brick Road and then Rail Fence.  

No quilt is complete without a label or two, one dedicating it to the baby from her great grandparents,

 And, the other is my ID.  

Don't those labels look great?  There's a story behind that.  I've been cursing my way through embroidering labels with my Pfaff 3.0 ever since I got it.  It has driven me mad every time and labels were taking hours to create.  Complaining about that at the sewing machine/fabric store last weekend and one of the lovely ladies at the store asked "what are you using for a foundation?"  "A What?"  Well, that clears things up quite a bit.  No one ever told me to pin the fabric to a special piece of stuff before embroidering.  What a difference that has made.  I turned these labels out in less than 15 minutes, with no screwy letters and no broken threads.  It's so much fun to learn the hard way.  

4 comments:

  1. There is nothing like learning the hard way! I have done that a few times myself...at least it leaves an impression.

    This quilt did turn out great! I love the quilting she did on it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of myself trying to do bead embroidery before I learned it goes so much better with a foundation! Your quilt is lovely, I can see why you like it so much. The colors are ones I would have chosen, so much my favorite color palette. I swear those pinwheels are spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning quilt! This one is heirloom quality. Good job sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this quilt is beautiful! And I'm judging it is big enough to be loved for many years judging by the feet it is being held over. The colors are stunning, but I love them in combination with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.