"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I HAVE BEEN SEWING

I've not blogged about the sewing room for a bit.  I spent two weeks knocked for a loop by the flu, in spite of getting a flu shot.  Apparently there's some versions of the flu circulating that are a surprise and not covered by the flu shot.  Dave and I have been together for over 30 years, and this is the sickest he has seen me, it was pretty darn bad.  

But, I am sewing, finishing Diagonal Madness for friends John and Nancy.  Here's the center of the quilt.  It's big.  

Hold on, that's not all.  Remember, this is a Kaffe Fasset design and I swear his motto must be "if you can't wow them with your wisdom, then baffle them with your b.s."  The more fabrics the better, the more details even better.  

So, of course, there is a complex border.  I have two borders finished, hanging on the wall waiting to be added to the quilt.  



I'm through chaining the third border, it's waiting on my board to be ironed.  
 And, I've got the 4th border pieces waiting by my machine.  
Once this quilt is done, yes, it will get done, off it will go to the long-armer.  I've not decided yet whether to put a sleeve or to have Nancy and John hang it using wooden clips.  It may be too big for a sleeve, I don't know and will appreciate advice on that one.  Also, I'll have the long-armer use bamboo batting, as it drapes so nicely in a decor quilt.  

Next, I'm going to finally make a quilt for us.  I've started viewing designs and ideas and I think it's going to be a two color sampler quilt, using an assortment of blocks from 501 Quilt Blocks, with sashings to define them.  We'll see.  

5 comments:

  1. Angela,
    this is a stunning quilt- I love all the vivid colors you have chose- I am sure Kaffe would be wowed by it too.
    Glad to hear you are starting to feel better- Happy quilting,
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anna! I can't wait to get the borders on it and have it quilted. It's going to be smashing. I will confess to having used Kaffe's "recipe" for fabrics. The people I'm making it for picked it out of the book and wanted those exact fabrics. Made it a bit easier for me, but making a quilt that way skips the creative juices a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. I'm impressed. That looks really complicated to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Angela, this is beautiful for sure. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is an incredible quilt! My favorite components too, lots of different scrappy colors and fabrics. You have very lucky (and I'm sure, also very thankful!) friends!

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.