"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, January 17, 2011

WELL, WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?

Reesie must have initially thought I'd made a bag for her.  Much to her dismay, that's not what this is.  

It is a computer sleeve.  
It is a Christmas gift for daughter Anna, and was put under the tree as a piece of fabric and a note.  I'm not the only one that does that, right?  


These are very simple to make, are heavily padded and if one does the math properly, they fit the computer like a glove.  

Anna chose her fabric from my stash, as she wasn't crazy about the fabric I had put under the tree (an even better reason to not knock yourself out sewing Christmas gifts).  For the outer she chose a neutral that I'd bought yards of in a big closeout sale, and for the inside she chose a vintage fabric that I had on hand.  I'm fairly certain it is a fabric that my sister had somehow saved from our Mom's fabric collection.  

 You have to use velcro for the latch.  I hate velcro, I'd so much prefer a magnetic snap, but it's not a good idea to have a magnet up against a computer.  And, pushing a hard snap against the computer repeatedly would not be a good idea either.  
Anna would have preferred this lovely vintage fabric on the outside, but I had just enough to make the lining out of it and had to piece a bit to make that happen.  

Every one of these I've made, I've done differently.  The pattern calls for home dec fabric, and I did make my son's out of blue ticking.  When I use regular fabric, I use a heavy iron-on interfacing to give it more heft.  Then there are two layers of batting within each panel.  The directions do not call for quilting, and I have no idea what will happen to that floating batting once the sleeve is washed.  I'll find out eventually. 

Here is the one I made for My Friend Sue, that lucky lady got a MacBook Air from Santa, so her envelope looks tiny compared to the one for Anna's giant MacBook Pro. I quilted Sue's, as I didn't want to give her something that very well may turn into a bunchy mess the first time it needs to be washed. 



3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I never thought to just give someone fabric with a note, but its certainly a good idea if they may not like the fabric. I would request one if I were high tech (or had extra $$) to have a laptop. So you're safe. I guess I could sew my own too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you're right. That's a piece of Mom's fabric. Vintage is in right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,

    Took a peek at some of your quilts and I must say they are absolutely beautiful, I especially like the Colorado Quilt! I also saw a few photo's of your backyard and it is just what Lucy needs. I sure will miss her, the house was very somber yesterday, even Lady seemed out or sorts. As for CVS you certainly could have the script transferred to the drug store of your choice, just call the drug you want to use and I am sure they will assist you. Keep in touch!
    Glo

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.