"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, January 27, 2011

OLD QUILTS

During our daily phone call, Denise mentioned she'd like to make a hexagon quilt.  I wasn't sure what she was talking about, did she mean a bee hive, and finally she got me to understanding and it is what I would call a Honeycomb Quilt.  I told her she must be mental.  To which she responded, "you're the one making Diagonal Madness for somebody else."  Good point.  

Anyway, we talked about that for a bit, because we can talk the daylights out of any topic, and partway through I remembered that I have a Honeycomb Quilt among those from Dave's Mom's farm quilts.  I promised Denise some pictures, and here they are.  
This quilt was probably made in the early 1900's.  All hand-sewed, it is very worn and tired. 

I'm sure when it was made, the colors were amazing.  Now some of the hexagons are simply worn away. 

Oh, how I love these fabrics!!

Here's some of plain blocks that surround the colored.
When I went into the cedar chest to pull out the hexagon quilt, I came across another very tired quilt from the farm.  I'm not sure what the pattern is, at first I thought it was a Snowball, but that's not it.  Anyone recognize it?  

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for pulling these out. You were right, very worn. Look at all that hand stitching -- no, that is not in my plan. I'll cheat somehow. I'm visual, remember? so I just want it to look nice when I'm done, just don't look too closely. ... Oh, yeah, I have to start it first, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that hexagon quilt called Grandmother's Flower Garden? That's what I've always called it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Grandmother's Flower Garden it is, Christine wins that one. Now, what the heck is the second quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Grandmother's flower garden. I'm sure someday I'll want a new quilt for my bed, but the one mom (Chris) made me for a wedding gift is too beautiful.

    Pictures of it (and a Grandmother's flower garden cross stitch) are here:http://stampsnstitches.blogspot.com/2009/08/grandmothers-flower-garden.html

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.