"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, December 26, 2010

LET'S MAKE A PIE

I'm going to brag and say that I turn out a really fabulous pie.  This is only because my late mother-in-law, Helen, grabbed me by the short hairs and dragged me into the kitchen and didn't let me out until my abilities in the kitchen approached those of the women of Western Pennsylvania.  

Over the past couple of years, I've been passing these lessons learned down to our son, Paul, and he is one heck of a cookie baker and is starting to turn out amazing pies also.  

This year, husband Dave wanted some cooking lessons, so Paul took charge in the kitchen to teach Dad how to make a Lemon Meringue Pie.  

Here they are, minus Dave's head... sorry about that, Dave.  

 Here is Paul making the perfect pie shell.  I know for sure that Helen was looking down from Heaven, a big smile on her face. 
 And, here's the final product
 Beautiful and delicious.  The meringue was exquisite!  The filing amazing!  It did not set up as well as we would have liked, and next time I think we'll choose a recipe with a bit more corn starch.  

When I am in the kitchen, I hear voices.  Helen is always in the kitchen with me, but especially at holiday time when I am working with the recipes she handed down to me.  She is looking over my shoulder, urging me to knead a dough for just a bit longer, get it smoother!  Add a bit more butter and salt, life is short and it is Christmas!  Some day I hope that when Paul and Anna are working in a kitchen without me, they will also hear voices, mine and Helen's, coaching them along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.