"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, November 14, 2010

SOME CHRISTMAS SEWING

At the hair dresser on Thursday he made my next appointment for six weeks away, which will be the week before Christmas.  YIKES, six weeks?  

So, I've put Diagonal Madness in a bin to the side until after the holidays and have started on the first Christmas present project, a runner for my daughter's boyfriend.  She chose the fabrics from my stash to match the decor in his room at college.  I would have NEVER put these fabrics together, but I think it's a grand match.  It's tough to see, but the white is a white on white fan shaped design.  

In this first picture you can see not only the runner but also the damage done to my design wall by darling Reesie Kitten.  I've got the wall wedged into a spot where it won't tip over if she decides to climb it.  She's not climbing it in my presence, so must be an activity for when I'm out of the sewing room, because the evidence is pretty obvious.  


I got this pattern off the web, and I really like it.  With the right fabrics you can get something that is simply smashing with minimal effort.  Of course, I haven't done the sewing yet so we'll see how minimal that is.  Once it's sewn I'll square off the sides and quilt it.  I may use a colored thread to add some interest to that stark white center block.  


This fabric I will use for the back and am not sure of the binding yet.  


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I have made that runner before and I got the pattern off the web. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a small quilting world! Yes, great fabrics. Anna's got that design eye going on (she must take after you) and she can go into the stash and come out with a combination that would never occur to me.

    The multi colored fabric is this obnoxious loose weave home dec fabric from the bin at JoAnn's. It shreds and stretches and waves and bends. I think I need to stabilize it with some lightweight iron on interfacing or I'm going to have a great big quilting problem on my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.