"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, November 27, 2010

FIGURING OUT A QUILT

Not many of the quilting bloggers post the entire process of a quilt.  I thought I'd try it with a baby quilt I'm starting.  A few posts back I put pictures of the fabric and asked advice, and my sister kicked in with some good ideas.  

Here are the fabrics I am working with:  


The original plan was to make the pinwheels out of 2 and 6, with 4 as the solid block in between.  That looked not too good, and #4 has gone back into the stash for another day.  So, this is what I did instead: 




Ugh, I don't like it and have put this floral back into the stash.  When in doubt, I take a look at the color circles on a fabric, and the color circles on those two fabrics did not contain even one of the colors used in the other fabrics I had assembled.  I know it's not a hard and fast rule, those cute colorful circles, but I find them to be useful when in doubt.  

Here's what I put together instead:  



I like the contrast better than version #1.  Here's a picture from a bit further away, with version #2, the keeper, on top, and version #1 below.  Especially from a distance, I think version #2 is more appealing.  


Now, the other dilemma I'm dealing with is that the block size is 5 1/2".  My pinwheel blocks are all consistently ending up 1/8 of an inch short of that.  Very frustrating and something else to be figured out.  To make the pinwheels, I'm making the 1/2 square triangles out of 3 3/8" strips.  My 1/4 inch seams are spot on accurate, and I'm pressing the seam very well so no fabric can be hiding from me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.