"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, October 14, 2010

SIMPLE GIFTS

SIMPLE GIFTS 
(a couple of the less familiar verses)

 'Tis the gift to be loved and that love to return,
'Tis the gift to be taught and a richer gift to learn,
And when we expect of others what we try to live each day,
Then we'll all live together and we'll all learn to say,

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

'Tis the gift to have friends and a true friend to be,
'Tis the gift to think of others not to only think of "me",
And when we hear what others really think and really feel,
Then we'll all live together with a love that is real.

I have just finished making a quilt for our nephew Scott and his wife Meg, in Tennessee, who are expecting a baby girl in December.  The shower is October 22 and I need to get this shipped off in time.  


I have named this quilt Simple Gifts, after that hymn.  It is one of the many songs I sang to our children, rocking them when they were babies, and so I thought it was a good name for this quilt.  




I pieced it out of a pile of fat quarters and had no ideas in mind as I started out.  I just knew I wanted it to be sweet and simple, and I believe I was successful in meeting that goal.  


Such simple blocks can make a lovely quilt.  


The quilting was done by Janet Barnet of Marblehead, Mass., on her long-arm.  I love her work, because she doesn't quilt the daylights out of the quilts she handles.  As you can see, she chose a simple swirl that forms a heart.  Jan is the person who got me on the quilting road, as my first instructor.  She is very talented and bright and a great teacher.  The quilt that I made under her competent instruction is called Blue Skies and a picture of it is posted earlier in this Blog.  

 
And, of course, no quilt is complete without a label.  My Pfaff Creative does great embroidery but I find it tedious, the loading and running of the words.  However, the results are worth it.  
 


My sister Christine has made a quilt for this baby also, and I stole a picture from her blog to display here.  We didn't consult on our intended designs, but ended up with two completely different quilts.  Is this a lucky baby or what?  Here's Christine's quilt:  


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful gifts.
    Made with lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right-these are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum! Love yours and really love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, your quilt is soft & muted -- all in a good way.

    Chris, yours is lively & colorful.

    What a lucky baby indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, they are both so pretty...yours especially has an old time feel to me and it really appeals to me. But I love your sis's quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the pleasure of being with Meg and Scott when the quilts were opened! Oh, my! The whole family was in awe! The quilts are even more amazing in person and it is so easy to see the wee one snuggled up in it's softness. The love that went into making those quilts fills the nursery.

    Here in Tennessee, we are so grateful for God's special gift of Blessing us with the Michaud Sisters.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.