"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, October 31, 2010

COLORADO

Have finished a quilt for my brother and his wife, who recently returned to the mountains of Colorado, after a number of years in New Mexico.  

I thought this Kaffe Fasset Earthy S Quilt absolutely captured the colors of Colorado (which are my favorite colors).  The only color missing is the color of the sky, which would be hard to capture any way.  







I had made this same quilt for my daughter, only in the Yellow S fabrics.  This fabric is the shot cotton and it's what makes the colors so marvelous.  BUT, the fabric is not great fun to work with, especially fussy cutting it into strips.  There is a stretch and shred to it that can make things turn wonky in a heart beat.  My OCD caused me to tear apart a number of the blocks to get them to square better.  And, once you take apart the pieces that comprise one of these blocks, then you are totally in wonky land and all bets are off.  

In spite of all that, I am really pleased with the final product, which came out exactly square somehow. 

 The quilting was done, again, by Jan Barnet, and I love it.  She really knows how to let a quilt shine. 

And, of course, no quilt is complete until you drive yourself mental with machine embroidering a label.  I don't know why it makes me so nuts, but it does, and right now I'm not pleased with the shape of the letters, but it gets the message across.  Originally, I had a label quilted into the back and I must have been mental because I used a very saturated blue fabric with white lettering and it completely destroyed the beauty of the back and the quilting.  So, I picked and prodded and tweezed that label out from under the quilting lines and added a label to a lower corner.  I always want my labels to be quilted in, but on this quilt, I destroyed that idea. 














3 comments:

  1. Absolutely Beautiful.
    I love the simplicity of the quilting done.
    It is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It looks like Colorado indeed! Perfect colors. Love the simple machine quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Angela....I LOVE this...love the colors...love the quilting...

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.