"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, September 9, 2010

EXTRAORDINARY KNITTING

A couple of years ago My Friend Sue was the hand crafted donations organizer for a Leukemia and Lymphoma Society auction.  I told her that I would knit her something very special as a donation, and I did:  


This is knit from a Debbie Bliss pattern, I simply love her designs.  When I finished this afghan and described it to Sue, she advised me that auctioning it would be a shame.  So, I got inexpensive yarn and got to work knitting a simple bobble blanket (no pictures, sorry) and Sue included it in a basket of baby things.  It probably earned more than this incredibly expensive and intricate work would have.  

Experienced knitters, take a very close look at this picture and tear your hair out along with me.  All of the skeins were from the same dye lot (I always check labels a million times and also keep each label and check them against each other when I start a new skein).  Notice that the yarn used for the bottom row of letters is a slightly different color than the rest of the blanket.  ARGHHHH.  Same color code, same dye lot, but doesn't match, very expensive yarn.  I plan on tea-dying this piece to even out the colors and having it framed in a shallow shadow box..... some day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.