"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, September 9, 2010

CROSS STITCH

Quilting is just one of the needle crafts that I enjoy.  Another is counted cross stitch.  Here's a few of the pieces I have displayed in our home.  




I think this is my favorite.  The colors in it are the colors in my home. 










Can you guess what my favorite Bible story is now that you've seen these?



















This is the first major X Stitch I did.  I love samplers, they feel like what X Stitch is supposed to be. 










This X Stitch was so much fun, I did it more than once!  Actually, the first time I stitched it, I ran out of the off white that I had bought at a local shop which subsequently shut down.  They sold a brand I'd never heard of and haven't seen since.  I could not find any match in DNC and got good and angry about that and threw that one in the trash (it was about 40 stitches from done!) and stitched this one. 


I took these and a few others to a frame shop all at once and the owner noticed and asked me "What was going on in 1999 and 2000?"  He noticed that all of these works were dated in those two years.  I thought about it and was surprised that it wasn't more obvious to me, and answered "My mother died in 1999 and my father in 2000."  They both had long residencies in nursing homes and I spent many hours with them through thick and thin, apparently my needle very busy.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.