"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, August 12, 2010

PURSES


We have a 20 year old daughter still at home, a college student.  And, as you all probably already know, when there's a 20 year old girl in the house, a large budget for purses is in order.  Why do they need so many?  I have one.  I use it til it falls apart, and then I buy another at the thrift shop.  Works for me.  Doesn't work for her.  

So, to save the budget from bursting any more than it has, I make purses for her (and often for her girlfriends).  Here are a couple I've recently finished:  

These are made from an Amy Butler pattern, super easy and always comes out nice.  I used Kaffe Fassett fabric left over from a quilt I made for my daughter last fall.  I did have to use Timtex for the upper section, as interfacing alone did not make that section stand stiff enough.  

This I made with $4 worth of home dec fabric from the bin at JoAnne's.  I like making this purse with leftover home dec, as there's minimal interfacing necessary to make it hold it's shape... and it's inexpensive.  I think the buttons cost more than the fabric.  
Here's the inside.  Magnetic snap, top panel same fabric as exterior, then a muslin lining with pockets. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you have this pattern. Caryl and I bought it in Maine last week! We have big plans to make purses one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.