"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, August 12, 2010

MY SISTER THE QUILTER

Have neglected mentioning my sister, Christine, the amazing quilter.  Our mom was a professional seamstress and had the smarts, patience and talents to start a 4-H sewing club when we were young.  That's where we learned to sew and knit, cross stitch and crochet.  Christine kept on sewing, making lovely clothes for her daughter, and home decor items, and I kept on knitting.  Eventually Christine discovered quilting and hasn't missed a beat since.   I was a little slow to go back to sewing, and dabbled in it for a while, making some dresses for my daughter and her American Girl Dolls.  Then it was a long break before I was led to quilting by Christine and also my friend Sue.  Christine's eye for color and quilts inspire me--I've been chasing my older sister my whole life, and now in our adult life it continues, as I struggle through color and design while she strolls through it.  Sue lived overseas for many years, 8 of them in Singapore, where she dug into quilting to remain sane.  I'm so grateful to my mom for teaching me, my sister for leading me, and Sue for being part of the cheering section.   Without my sewing room, I'd be totally mad by now.  Christine's blog is here and Sue's is here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.