"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A LUCY MOMENT

Well, I'll be telling a lot of Lucy stories for this week I guess.  People some times wonder why those of us that welcome foster dogs into our homes do so.  It is because of the small moments like we had tonight with Lucy.  

Remember, this is a dog rescued from a puppy mill, blind probably from birth, and in a cage since birth.  And, as soon as she could, she produced litter after litter after litter.  And, those pups who survived were taken from her at 4 weeks of age (they should stay until 8 weeks and 10 is even better).  Those pups were loaded onto a transport truck that was probably filthy and hot, and driven to their destination, a pet store in a mall.  Those that survived the trip were sold for over $1000, with "AKC Papers" and pedigree charts that are all fictitious.  Some family playing "how much is that doggy in the window" bought one of those pups, not knowing that it had come from Lucy, who had juvenile cataracts, an inherited disorder.  And, those puppies are all probably blind by now, just like their mom.  

Okay, I got off topic there, it's easy to do.  Anyway, this evening as Dave and I were eating dinner on the deck, Lucy once again came out of her crate and to the screen door to wander the yard.  And, wander she did, for a really long time.  In her wanderings, she found a rawhide, likely hidden by our Miss Cassy.  Now, if Lucy's foster mom reads this she'll have a fit, but we let Lucy have that rawhide.  She pranced all around the yard with it, looking proud I'd say.  She held it in her mouth and rolled in the grass on her back.  Then she settled down and chewed.  Dave and I smiled and our hearts swelled.  

Such a simple thing, a dog chewing a rawhide.  I've seen it a million times.  It's a normal thing for a dog to do.  However, it's this moment of Lucy chewing that will make me say "yes" when I am again asked to keep a foster dog for a while. 

Take the time to make the difference in a life, whether it's one of God's human creatures, or one of his wild creatures, great or small.  This is what makes life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.