"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, August 29, 2010

BLUE SKIES

When I started quilting, it was because a friend had a Singer 99 in a cabinet collecting dust in her basement.  I had mentioned I'd like to get back to sewing, and she offered me the 99 and I haven't looked back since.  I have gotten a Pfaff Creative since then, and also have a Singer Featherweight on hand, but have returned my friend's Singer 99 to it's rightful place in her basement.  


The first quilt I made was a very simple Yellow Brick Road using batiks, and I gave that to the owner of the 99.  I do not have pictures of it.  Silly me.  


The second quilt I made was for my son.  It is lovely, and was a project I was ready to chuck out the window a few times, but my sister talked me down and kept me rolling.  Here it is, it is called "Blue Skies."   My Friend Sue in Pennsylvania got me to start naming my quilts, as she always has, and I decided to name my quilts after songs with lyrics that matched the recipient and the quilt.  I think the thing I love the most about this quilt is that my son absolutely appreciates and loves this quilt, it may be his most prized possession.  I love that.  





2 comments:

  1. Nice quilt for a young man. I am sure he will cherish it forever and the colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your son treasures it so much...and I like the quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete

Some day, I’d like the memory of me to be a happy one, I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done. I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways, of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.